My Veteran's Day actually began on Wednesday. I was a sub in a third grade class. The last segment of the day was spent with students getting to hear from veterans who were invited to their classrooms. They rotated through and met with five different individuals. It was wonderful to see them listen and ask questions. They were completely engrossed (though that may have had something to do with the Humvee that the Army ROTC brought for them to see and sit in) It was good for the students to see many of the different ways that veterans serve. They met an Army cook, a Navy fireman, a Navy engineer's mate, a Master Chief of the Air Force who transported diplomats all over the world, and a WWII Veteran who later became one of the original soldiers in the missile and rocket programs.
On Thursday we went to the Veteran's Day Parade held through the large VA Hospital grounds. I went to watch Christian march with the AFROTC cadets. I have never really enjoyed parades before. I always found them a bit boring, however, yesterday was different. It was very moving to watch the flag lowered to half mast and learn that an guard of cadets had been standing watch for the past 24 hours to honor veterans, to hear a small choir of children sing a sweet and heartfelt "Thank You Song," and to see the unveiling of a new memorial. When the parade started this time I enjoyed watching the various entries pass, but most of all I enjoyed seeing the veterans in the crowd stand a little straighter and silently salute every passing American flag. I am truly grateful for their service and sacrifice.
What a wonderful Veteran's Day. Being in the classroom with the visiting VA’s sounded like an extra treat for the holiday. I am so glad you enjoyed the parade. Christian looks great marching with the other recruits. Cool Monument – downtown Prescott?
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Not downtown Prescott. The VA hospital is off 89 just before you come into town.
ReplyDelete